Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Colton Ford Gives Us the Naked Truth About "A Molly Jolly Christmas"

By Byrne Harrison


Maybe you know this Peace Bisquit / Woop Woop recording star from his albums, Tug of War and Under the Covers.  Perhaps you saw the documentary about his music career, "Naked Fame."  Then again, maybe you're familiar with some of his more adult endeavors. But however you know him, chances are Colton Ford made an impression.

Now you have a chance to see Colton in a new light, as a participant in the must-see Christmas cabaret of the season, Molly "Equality" Dykeman's A Molly Jolly Christmas.  I had a chance to catch up with Colton (and Molly, as you'll see) and ask him about Molly, his career and what 2012 holds for him.

Colton, you're known as, well, a man's man. Molly is a fan of the lovely ladies.  Other than both being unbelievably butch, you don't seem to have too much in common.  How did you wind up being part of A Molly Jolly Christmas?

Well the fact that I came out of a vagina I think spoke to her. You know Molly. Any vagina reference and it's on!!

Yes, Molly can be a little Pavlovian that way.  Now anyone who knows Molly knows that this show will feature lovely ladies, humor, poetry, and as you mentioned, vagina references.  What can we expect to see from you at the show?

True testosterone. I'll show you the man Molly really wants to be.  And you can expect to hear some hot music too!

Who'll be in the show with you and Molly?

(At this point, Molly "Equality" Dykeman, who has been sitting nearby eating Cheetos--no nachos on the menu apparently, perks up and joins the interview)

I'll field this question, Colton. Why don't you just sit there and look pretty? My friend Michael Musto of The Village Voice is going to stop by. He graduated from an Ivy League school and I've slept with a lot of Ivy League ladies so I think we'll have a lot to talk about. The sexy and talented Victoria Libertore will be performing one of the most twisted Liza's to hit the stage in a long time, and then I usually invite someone I met on the subway to come and do the show. There's so much great talent on the F train. I tried to get the Mariachi band to come play but they turned me down. Thankfully,Colton said yes.

(Molly started to say more, but was distracted by a leggy Latina and wandered away.)

Wow, okay then. So Colton, you've had a... remarkably varied career.  Looking back on all of it, what would you say was the highest point so far?

There have been several memorable moments over my career. When I was signed to acclaimed songwriter, Denise Rich, got a major label deal, and was paired up with Frankie Knuckles all in the same year. That was really cool! Performing in Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Tour two years ago was brilliant. Singing with Chaka Khan was amazing. Also, just having all the music that I have out there is a great accomplishment.

Given all that you've done in 2011, I imagine 2012 is going to be an even busier year for you.  What do you have coming up?  Will we see you back onstage soon?

Well, I've been back on two Off-Broadway stages just this month, and hope to continue in 2012. I've got a new album coming out, "The Way I Am," which includes collaborations with Nervo, Chris Willis, Wawa, Redtop, Razor N Guido to name a few. I also have a stripped down, more acoustic EP coming out around fall of 2012. Other things are brewing for the New Year, but I ain't gonna share just yet!

Well, that's a bit of a tease, but I suppose I can wait.  So let's do a hypothetical.  If I could grant you any performance wish, what would be your dream gig?

Being able to gig at Madison Square Garden would be one!!

And if you could collaborate with anyone on your next album, who would it be?

Well, I've been really fortunate to work with some amazing people throughout my career. It would be cool to collaborate with Darkchild. Missy Elliott. Gaga.

Well, let's hope they see this. Since it's the holidays, what are your Christmas plans?

Chillin' at home.

What's your dream date for the perfect New Year's Eve?

Bringing in the New Year with my partner, and just enjoying where the evening takes us!

Since Molly hasn't come back, how about a little question about her? I can only imagine what Molly is like in rehearsals and backstage. Any good gossip to share?

None. Molly is a pleasure. Vagina-focused for sure, but a sweetie!

Molly, Colton, Michael Musto and Victoria Libertore can be seen in the final performance of A Molly Jolly Christmas at the Laurie Beechman Theatre at 42nd St. and 9th Ave. (inside the West Bank Cafe) on Thursday, December 22nd at 7:30 PM.


No comments:

Post a Comment