Friday, May 8, 2015

New York Boylesque Festival interview - Lou Henry Hoover

The New York Boylesque Festival weekend kicks off tonight with a teaser party at the Knitting Factory and is followed by tomorrow's main event at B.B. King's.

Here's your chance to meet some of the performers before they hit the stage.

Name:  Lou Henry Hoover
Home town:  NYC/Seattle

How many years have you been doing burlesque?

It must be seven years now!

How would describe your burlesque style?

I'm a boylesqueing drag king.  I came into burlesque out of a professional dance career, so I approach burlesque with a choreographer's perspective combined with a deep love of camp theater and a tendency to play the clown.

Have you participated in the New York Boylesque Festival in the past?

This is my second year.

Who are you most looking forward to seeing perform this weekend?

There's so many great performers at the festival!  I am particularly excited to see Waxie Moon this year - he had a big hand in getting me started both as a drag king and in boylesque, and he and I have worked together in a lot of different capacities over the years.  He's a brilliant weirdo and seeing him onstage is always a treat.  This June we will both be competing for King of Burlesque at The Burlesque Hall of Fame so I'm hoping to get a sneak peak at his act!  I'm honored to be the first drag king to compete in this category.  Of course I'm also excited to see the reigning King of Burlesque and fellow Atomic Bombshell, Mr. Gorgeous!

What would you like to say to your New York fans (and future fans)?

Get ready for a full weekend of tit…er…cockillation!


No comments:

Post a Comment